Image

Image

Monday, July 27, 2015

Prayer

I'm not the best prayer. I do it every now and then when I think about it, it's very formal, I ask for big things in a small way and I usually only ask once.

I did a bible study about the book "The Circle Maker" by Mark Batterson, and my prayer life changed dramatically.

Mark talks about the power of prayer. He states that BOLD prayers please the Lord. He challenges his readers to be specific and intentional with their prayer life. He reminds us that God can do ANYTHING,  but he doesn't necessarily do it right away. He says to circle your dreams and fears in prayer whether it be mentally or physically.  He suggests that a change of pace + a change of place = a change in perspective. Don't give up on God when he doesn't give an answer right away. KEEP ASKING. Try something different during your prayer time. He suggested that trying something "physical" can really focus your mind on your request (this doesn't mean that it makes your prayer magical, it just keeps you mindful).

I thought he was kind of quirky. He often mentions that he paces, and places his hands, and fasts. When He mentioned that he does these things to stay focused on his prayers, it hit me! It's really hard for me to pray when there's a mess around me or the TV is on or my phone is near me. It's hard for me to pray when I could be playing with Claire. I need to find something that will keep me focused on a prayer.

I have challenged myself to circle Claire's sleeping habits in prayer. I know that sounds silly, but it's something that really bothers me. She does ok at night, but she won't nap consistently. She needs it, I need it. I am going to stop every time I lay her in her crib and pray in her doorway. I  going to pray for peace and comfort for her to know that her crib is a safe place. I'm going to pray for good rest. I'm going to build on this prayer as I see needs arise. Even though it seems silly to me (and probably to you) for me to pray about my baby's sleep, nothing is too silly, too small or too big for God. He will help Claire sleep!

I'm going to circle this need in prayer for 21 days as part of Mark Batterson's challenge. Join me! What are some things that you could pray about? Where can you go or what could you do to help you remember to circle this dream or fear in prayer? If you do this, I hope you notice that your prayer life will grow tremendously, and you'll find yourself praying about everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment