Image

Image

Monday, September 4, 2017

Abigail Jean: Birth Story

The topic of induction was discussed several weeks before my due date. I didn't want to do it for multiple reasons (I wanted to experience going into labor on my own, wanted to save money by avoiding the extra day, my body and baby didn't seem quite ready, etc.) When I was still at 1cm and barely effaced at my 39 week appointment, we all decided to go ahead and schedule a "just in case" induction date after my due date. Dr. Hinton didn't want me to go too long over because baby girl was probably going to be a bit bigger. We chose Monday May 1, 2 days late. We went in early morning because we'd already pre-paid for a 48 hour stay at the hospital and wanted to try to avoid a 3rd day for the induction process. As much as I didn't want to be induced, I was thankful for it in the end. We were really able to enjoy our last weekend with just Claire, my parents came up to stay with her and weren't in a rush or tizzy to get here, I was able to pack and mentally prep for the situation with a "sane" mind. On our way to the hospital (at 1am) we stopped at McDonalds for a last meal because I wouldn't be able to eat once pitocin started. We were all set and ready to meet our new little love! 

  • 1:30am check in went smoothly, hooked up to all things 
  • Already showing a few contractions
  • Started Pitocin and group b strep antibiotic around 3:00am
  • Was checked and still "a good 1cm", baby still high, but up to 50% effaced! 
  • Couldn't sleep
  • By 5:30, Pitocin was turned up for the 3rd time. Contractions were 4-6 minutes apart. Pain was not unbearable, barely noticeable. 
  • 6:00, still a 1
  • 8:00 Dr Hinton came in, talked about what we might do if I don't progress. She upped the Pitocin and I was at a 2. 
  • 8:40 upped Pitocin 
  • Fetal heartrate and contraction monitor kept flipping off my belly (just like they did with Claire). 
  • I was sooooooo hungry!! I think I ate 4 popsicles, and Dr. Hinton let me sneak a handful of trail mix 🙌🏻
  • I did a lot more walking around and bouncing to try and help things. 
  • Around 11:30, I was checked again (2/3, 50/60% effaced and she moved to -2 station). We started using the peanut ball and that really got things going! Strong steady contractions! 
  • Contractions started getting very strong and very frequent. We spoke with Dr. Hinton. I asked about getting epidural. Was checked and still a 2, so I decided to try and wait (I think I lasted around 30 more minutes). 
  • Got the epidural around 2:00. It was a MUCH better experience as far as pain during insertion! A nerve was hit on the first try which sent a shot of pain/tingling to my right knee. He re-did it and got it just right on the second try. I did end up with a strange pressure headache that just bounced around my head for about 30 minutes and then went away. During the epidural, Andrew stood right in front of me and held on to me (it was one of my favorite parts of the day). The nurse started commenting on how strong and frequent my contractions were becoming. I also started having low blood pressure and would feel very tired or nauseous sometimes. 
  • Checked right after epidural and was at a 6, 90%, and -2! Dr. Hinton broke my water. We set up laying on the left with the peanut and progressed very quickly! 
  • I think by 4:45 I was a 10 and just needed to wait a little while for her to labor down to begin pushing. 
  • Pushed from 5:20-6:15
  • Was very tired from little sleep and had nausea from heartburn and low blood pressure, but still had a good experience! 
  • The last 3 pushes were super exciting! The first, she kind of jumped and her head popped out, surprising everyone!! It even made a popping noise! Dr. Hinton wasn't quite ready!! I had one middle push, and then during the third push, I was up in my pushing position and she did a frog kick inside me and pushed herself right out!!! Everyone instantly commented on her cuteness and chunkiness. 
  • We did chest to chest time together, I got to cut her cord, and they did all the measurements and tests. She had to stay on my chest for a while because her temp was a little low. 
  • 6:15pm on Monday, 5/01/17
  • 8lbs 12.6oz
  • 21.1in
  • APGAR scores were 9 and 9
  • Meme and Papa and Lolly were the first to meet her (Poppi had Claire). Poppi came in. Meme and Poppi left to get food and daddy brought Claire in. She was extremely unsure and more worried about mama's boo boos and all the machines! 
  • Abigail nurses like a champion!!! Latched and sucked well right away and for a long time! (But she does not like to be put down or re-situated!)
  • I ended up being awake for a total of 37 hours before getting a little rest! 
  • She pooped 3 times and peed (first time during her bath) on 5/2 while still at the hospital. 
  • She had to have 4 or 5 blood sugar draws (heel pricks) because of her size. 
  • Passed all her tests. 
  • Came home around 7:30pm on 5/2. Claire was excited and hyper. She said all day, "Abby coming home!!!"
  • Abigail took a paci!!!

We are extremely thankful for the gift of a healthy baby and  smooth delivery! Life with Abigail Jean is so so sweet! 








No comments:

Post a Comment