Image

Image

Monday, September 4, 2017

Ode to the Rocking Chair

I have spent a LOT of time in our trusty rocking chair in the last 2 years. I know the art of pillow placement and exactly where I need to sit in it to lean back comfortably. 

I have not enjoyed my time in the rocking chair for the last several weeks. Claire can't find a comfy spot to rest because there's no room. By the end of the day, my belly is so tight that I feel like I'm going to die while Claire pushes and pulls on me while we both try to relax. It's just been more of an inconvenience to "rock" Claire lately. Andrew and I have been taking turns, and on my nights I rush through it as quickly as possible, desperate for relief from the pressure! 

At the same time, there have been a few magical nights where Claire finds just the right spot, lays so still, and falls asleep. I'm comfortable, she's comfortable, and all is right. She still looks like a tiny baby when we sleeps. She still lays like she did when she nursed and rubs my chest. I cannot help but sing praises to the Lord for every second spent in that chair with my girl. We've cried together, slept together, sang together, prayed together, laughed together, read together, and planned together. We've had some of our best times in that chair. On hard days, she's back to being my sweet baby girl by the time we sit down to rock at night. This rocking chair is a huge part of Claire's life. 

We are moving it to the baby's room. I. Am. Devastated. How can I remove such a big part of Claire's daily routine and part of her room environment?! What do I do on those rare nights that she does wake up and just wants to be rocked for a minute?! Why am I doing this to my baby?! Luckily, Claire Avery has handled most changes that I stress over very gracefully and I'm sure this will be the same. It's funny to me that this chair has caused me the most anxiety when thinking about how different her life will be with the new baby. 

I'm thankful for our cream and tan pin striped rocking chair from Walmart. I will cherish every second I spent in it with Claire and I'm looking forward to the new memories I get to make with Abigail. 


No comments:

Post a Comment